Saturday, March 14, 2009

March of the Tools: Coolgear USB to IDE/SATA Adapter

For years, my husband tore his hair out over me taking over his desktop computer and plugging my hard drives into his motherboard, leaving the side off the case and the hard drives strung out on their IDE cables and sitting on empty CD spindles. When my desktop finally bit the dust, I couldn't access my SATA drive because his motherboard was to old to support it, so he let me buy this:
It's been great because I can hook any of my old drives up for quick access. My brother even gave me an old 80GB drive I use for video editing that I essentially use as an external hard drive. I also used this little baby to send everything on the old drives over to my 1TB network-attached storage. If you are in the market for a large external drive and don't mind a certain about of the cyberpunk look, you can save money by getting this if the difference between internal and external drives exceeds $24 + shipping. Just don't let your two-year-old throw drives on the floor unless they are solid-state.

3 comments:

It' an Evolution said...

Now that is a useful tool. I will be needing one of those soon. Using more and more space these days :)
Thanks for visitng my site.
Have a great day
Janet

The Great Ethan Allen said...

My computer is soooo old I'm not even sure if that would help! I need a totally new one. But it is nice to know that there are things like this out there.

Scarlett said...

This has nothing to do with your post, but you are the winner of the IdahoIndieWorks giveaway!
http://idahoindieworks.blogspot.com/
Please send your shipping information to me at CathyScarlett@gmail.com
Thanks and Congrats!